Food Worker Cards
The most important part of food safety is people. How restaurant staff handle food is key to keeping Snohomish County safe from food-borne illness and disease. Food worker cards - also called food handler cards - help ensure that all workers are knowledgeable about food handler best practices and safety.
Not Just for Food workers
You are required to get a Snohomish County food worker card if you:
- Work with unpackaged food, including restaurants and bars
- Touch food equipment, including washing dishes
- Work at a surface on which people place unwrapped food, including grocery store cashiers and baggers
If you receive food safety training from your employer, you are allowed to work for up to 14 days before you get your food worker card.
Online Food Worker Card Class
The Food Workers Card website is the only online training program authorized to provide you with a valid food worker card in Snohomish County and Washington state. Other websites that appear to offer a similar card are not recognized as a valid government-issued permit to work in a food establishment.
Online training is available in:
It takes about one hour to go through the online class and take the test. You must pay the $10 fee by Visa, Mastercard or a debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo.
Before you log-in to take the class:
- Use a computer connected to a printer so you can print your own food worker card
- Have your Visa or Mastercard ready - you cannot pay later
If you have any trouble during the online course, see these FAQs or contact the Snohomish Health District Food Safety Program at 425-339-5250.
Food Worker Classes in Everett
We offer three food worker card classes each month in Room 103 at 3020 Rucker Avenue, Everett. Classes last about 90 minutes and are offered in English or Spanish. Cost is $10 and must be paid by cash or debit card. You do not need to register ahead of time.
- 2:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month in English
- 10 a.m. on the third Tuesday of each month in English
- 10 a.m. el primer martes de cada mes en Espanol (first Tuesdays)
Arrive 15 minutes early to ensure time for parking and signing in. There is no admittance after the class starts. Please leave young children at home.
If you are renewing a current food worker card, bring your old card (or a copy) with you to receive a 3-year card.
Books & Tests
Booklets and tests are available in:
Prepare for the class by reviewing the manual in advance: Food and Beverage Workers Manual.