Septic System Repair
If you think you need a septic system repair, follow these steps to comply with the Snohomish County Health Department and Washington State regulations. See our Septic Contractors page for a list of certified professionals.
- Contact a licensed septic professional, who will be able to look at the multiple elements of your system and possibly determine the cause of the septic failure.
- If it is determined by the licensed septic professional that your system needs to be repaired or replaced, and a permit is required, contact a licensed septic designer to design a repair and apply for a permit from the Snohomish County Health Department.
- Once the repair application is reviewed, you will be notified of the results.
- Once you decide on a certified installer, the licensed designer must request that the installation permit be issued before work can begin.
- Once the installer notifies your designer that the repair is complete, the designer will ensure that the repair was installed correctly and then submit an as-built to the Snohomish County Health Department.
- An Environmental Health Specialist (EHS) from the Snohomish County Health Department will complete a final inspection to make sure the installation is correct and the as-built is an accurate depiction of your repaired septic system.
Find a Contractor
Septic designers and engineers are licensed by the Washington State Department of Licensing. To look up licensing information online, you can either create an account with the DOL or look up “certified septic system designers in Snohomish County” using the internet. For more information on becoming certified you can email Environmental Health.
Savvy Septic Loan Program
We want you to be able to make necessary repairs to your system. For more information on this program and how you can get financial assistance when making repairs, visit the Savvy Septic website.