Temporary Food Booths

NOTICE: During Phase 3, the Snohomish Health District will be accepting and reviewing temporary food permit applications for events that meet current governor’s guidelines.  Foodservice operators will be responsible for meeting the most current COVID-19 Requirements for Eating and Drinking Establishments. Event coordinators will be responsible for meeting the most current COVID-19 Requirements for Fairs and Special Events. Due to the unstable nature of COVID-19, and the possibility of regressing phases, temporary food permits will be granted just prior to the event to ensure compatibility with the guidelines for the current phase.

We will continue to accept and review temporary food application for venders at farmers markets in both Phase 2 and 3.

We accept applications in person, by mail or online.
Snohomish Health District
Attn: Food Section Plan Review
3020 Rucker Avenue
Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201-3900

*Find COVID-19 information for food establishments and businesses here, and sign up for our Food for Thought Newsletter to receive updates.

In Snohomish County, if you operate a temporary food booth that is open to the public, you must obtain a permit. Examples of events that require temporary food booth permits include:

  • Carnivals or circuses
  • Fairs and festivals
  • Fundraisers
  • Sporting events

Do You Need a Temporary Food Permit

All food booth vendors are required to have a permit to operate at events that are open to the public. An event is considered public if you advertise it, including with fliers, banners, newspaper articles, and online.

The Snohomish Health District requires at least 1 person working in your booth to have a valid food worker card posted, but we encourage all people working the booth to have valid cards.

Vendors at unadvertised events, such as church dinners or events for members and their guests only, are not required to have temporary food booth permits. Nonprofit organizations operating for religious, charitable, or educational purposes may hold bake sales with homemade goods (that do not require temperature control) without a permit. These items must be prepared and individually wrapped in a sanitary manner. There must be a visible sign stating that the foods are prepared in a home kitchen that is not inspected by a regulatory authority.

Permit Fee

Your temporary permit fee depends on the type of food you will be serving. Booths that serve potentially hazardous foods are considered high risk and have higher fees. Potentially hazardous foods include: 

  • Animal products: Meat, poultry, eggs, seafood, dairy products
  • Cooked starches: Beans, pasta, potatoes, rice
  • All cooked vegetables
  • Fresh cut melons, leafy greens, tomatoes
  • Tofu

Requirements & Information for Temporary Food Booths

Applications for Temporary Food Booth Permits