When are you too sick to work with food?

Even if you have a food worker card, you are not permitted to work with food if you have:

  • Continual sneezing, coughing, or runny nose
  • Diagnosed infections that can be spread through food, such as salmonella, shigella, E coli, or hepatitis A
  • Diarrhea, vomiting, or jaundice
  • Infected, uncovered wounds

Sick food workers should go home or be given duties that do not involve handling food, such as taking out the trash, cleaning restrooms, or busing tables.

Show All Answers

1. Can I take the class and test online?
2. Who can help me if I am having problems with the online site?
3. Do I have to register ahead of time to take the class?
4. When are the classes offered at Snohomish County Health Department?
5. Can I schedule a special class for a group or event that needs food worker cards?
6. How much is the food worker card?
7. How long is the food worker class?
8. Is there an age requirement for the class?
9. How long is my food worker card valid?
10. Do I have to retake the class and test to renew my food worker card?
11. How do I renew my food worker card?
12. I took the test online. I received a 2-year card, but I qualify for a 3-year card?
13. How do I get a 5-year food worker card?
14. How can I get a replacement card if I lost mine?
15. Can I read the test to a child or student with special needs?
16. I am hearing impaired. What are my options for getting a food worker card?
17. Am I required to have a food worker card?
18. What options do I have if I speak a foreign language?
19. When are you too sick to work with food?