Permanent Food Service Establishments

A permanent food service establishment is a place where food is provided for service directly to the consumer in a fixed location. It is considered a permanent food service establishment whether the food is provided free of charge or sold, and whether the food is consumed on or off the premises. This includes restaurants, employee cafeterias, bakeries, espresso stands, take-outs, pizzerias, bars, senior centers, public and non-public schools, concession stands, or religious, fraternal and charitable organizations. 

For a Temporary Event Permit, go to the Temporary Food Establishment page.


  • Prepare food in a kitchen that is approved and regularly inspected by the Snohomish County Health Department.
  • Display your annual permit for customers and inspectors to see. 
  • All employees must be trained to handle food safely and have their Food Workers Card. 
  • Have the proper equipment to prepare and serve food safely.
  • Have a safe water source and safe sewage disposal.
  • Have a written policy on handwashing, no-bare-hand-contact, employee illness and emergency preparedness.


Annual permit fees depend on the size of the facility and the type of food that will be served. Permits last for one year and expire on the last day of the month that is 12 full months after the date the permit is initially issued. Permits are non-transferable.


All low-risk food service establishments$420.00 Annual Permit Fee

0-51 SEATS

Medium risk$630.00 Annual Permit Fee
High risk$870.00 Annual Permit Fee

51-150 SEATS

Medium risk$730.00 Annual Permit Fee
High risk$1005.00 Annual Permit Fee


Medium risk$800.00 Annual Permit Fee
High risk$1090.00 Annual Permit Fee

You will receive an annual invoice from the Snohomish County Health Department. Use the Invoice ID and Account ID on the top of the invoice to pay for your permit online.SCHD_Invoice_Example_w_Border_2023